Off Season open marathon
Posted By: Toby Smith
Date: Thursday, 3 September 2009, at 8:49 a.m.
I know, I know ..running an off season marathon is not the best idea, but I got suckered into it by a group of friends who signed up. Its in January and Im trying to plan my training for the next few months so I can build a solid running foundation, do well in the marathon without risking injury or sacrificing all my bike fitness.
For the months of Oct Dec, I am tentatively planning on the following:
High frequency running 5 6 days a week - steady
- 3-4 of those will be 30 45 min runs
- 2 of them will be longer building one of them from 1 hour to 2:30 slowly
Bike maintenance 3 days a week
- one hour trainer session with some steady big gear intervals
- a 45 min to 1 hr ez bike
- longer bike on weekend steady social ride or mountain bike
- I am really enjoying the gym right now. Have been hitting it 4 days a week 2 upper body & 2 lower body sessions.
- When I start higher running next month, I plan to drop one lower body session. So 3 sessions, 2 upper and 1 lower.
Swim After a lot of swimming the last few months, Im looking forward to a break here. Will be sporadic at best.
Any thoughts on this structure? Any alternative ideas or things to really watch out for?
As always, appreciate your guidance.
Messages In This Thread
CoachKP Tri Forum is maintained by Coach KP with WebBBS 5.12.